Tuesday 8 October 2013

5/10/13 15mm ACW game

Not much progress with the FoW stuff recently, hence the lack of posts. I did have a game of 'Johnny Reb' on Saturday, which is a ruleset covering the American Civil War. 

Figures were provided by John P and the Provan clan (Young David borrowing Old Daveys figures!). These are some of the Provans figures. 



I was co-opted into playing on the confederate side and given two infantry brigades with which to assault the centre. YD took the left flank with his Brigade and agreed to a more sedate assault plan than normal - aiming to use his troops to pin the northern forces there down and stop them interfering with my attack. John P took my right flank and aimed to push round the Northerners flank and hit them while the main assault distracted them. 

The left flank;


The centre;


The right flank;


I decided to use the hill and the corn field to screen my attack, and use my two artillery batteries to distract the nothern artillery opposite me. 

As I moved my troops onto the hill I switched my regular units to skirmish formations and kept the other two in what I thought were attack columns. 


The plan was to skirmish forward to the fence line at the road, draw off the opening volleys from the infantry then charge with the columns. 


Turns out I was in the wrong type of column... I charged at the same time as the northern units, and the charges met in the middle. One of my units was beaten and driven back, the other won and ended up behind the defensive line. 

The battle went on, but the northern right flank basically collapsed when my reformed troops (now in proper attack columns) charged again. 



John P troops were closing and YD had the left flank pinned. We called it as a confederate victory!



A good game, I quite enjoyed my set peice attack and thought YD did a great job. John P hardly fired a shot but served as an excellent distraction to spread the northern units out. Great teamwork and a good laugh. 

2 comments:

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!