Saturday 2 September 2017

FoW Italian Plastics, Building scales, Border Reaver show and WiP

Hi folks,

This week I have mostly been painting British infantry... again. Progress is being made (pic below). Today I drove up to Gateshead for the Border Reavers Wargames show. A decent little show and I got to meet up with a bunch of the guys from the Old Guard club.

Loot:


As usual, the amount available for 15mm was limited. I managed to pick up a box of the PSC German stowage, which I had wanted before I start working on my Panzer IV's and Panthers. I also bought some Red Vector 15mm buildings. Specifically their 15mm Russian Village. I put these together as soon as I got home - a few of them I put together 'inside out' as I wanted plain walls rather than the wood panel effect. These will all be outbuildings - more on that in a minute!

I also bought a load of bases for various projects and two books. One of Wittmann, because it covered the Totalise and Tractable operations. I've had a quick read details are scant, contradictory and pretty partisan. In other words, the usual German hyperbole and hero worshipping tosh.

The other book is 'over the Battlefield, Operation Epsom'. I really enjoyed the Goodwood version of this book, with it's mix of maps, photos and WW2 aerial recon shots. Epsom isn't an operation I know a huge amount about, so I'm looking forward to reading this.

There were a few interesting games being played:








Onto this weeks issue - building scale. I've been buying quite a few outbuildings to bulk out the village I'm building. Most French villages seem to have lots of small outbuildings for animals, stores, etc. But have a look at this picture and see if you can spot a problem:

L to R: Warbases 15mm L shaped barn, RedVectors 15mm Russian building, Ironclad Miniatures 15mm Normandy Barn
Just to make this a little more obvious, here are the same buildings next to a 4Ground 15mm building:



As you can see, the Warbases barn is massive - a proper building in it's own right, not so much an outbuilding. The other two are passable for what I need - the size of the doors are roughly the same on these, but I guess I need to see a proper layout to determine what else I need and how it will actually look. The roofs seem to be the biggest odd factor, with resin building seeming very odd. Time will tell, and a paint job will probably help.

This weeks progress:



Lastly, an image from this months Wargames illustrated - previews of the upcoming 15mm Battlefront Italians:



8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the pictures of the games I took a couple of photos but the light was rubbish, hopefully catch up some time at Old Guard 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, I only got a few - your right, the light was terrible. Very yellow!

      Delete
  2. Looks like another fun day out and a few goodies to boot. Barns come in all shapes and sizes so dont fret about it.
    Maybe its a communal one or its for all the post office horses

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im currently doing ww2 15mm desert Italians so very interested in that article, thanks for the heads up! i hope they are redoingthe infantry as have had trouble getting hold of the old ones recently.

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!